Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Feeding my head

I'd forgotten how good it is to go free organic grocery shopping in your own backyard. It rocks! There's dinner. Some Turnips and Green Beans which I cooked up together and I added some new Potato's from Joey's garden. The spuds were those perfect little pink ones that you don't even need to peel. To the pot I added Garlic Whistles, new Onions and tops, Rosemary, salt, pepper and real butter. I made a salad and had some good bread and that was the whole dinner. I had a chicken breast to steam, but, I threw it in the freezer..THIS stuff is what I wanted. Man, it was good too. I'm now picking beans every other day and everything else is abundant except Tomatos. I'm only getting one or two a day right now, the rest stay stubbornly green. I did get handfull of Cherry Tomatos, but, somehow those didn't make it into the house. Gowd, I love those things. Wish you'd all been here, there sure is plenty. Can't wait until the Corn comes on.

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Wish I was there, too! I eat like crap in the summer. I really love fresh veggies. Somet imes my stepmother will bring garden goodies for me, but I don't have time to cook it.
Fry onions in bacon fat, add steamed green beans, salt. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil,add steamed green beans,salt. Both are delicious, potatoes are good added, too.

Pat said...

The Turnips were surprisingly yummy cooked with the rest. I'm full as a tick.

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm hoping for... planted for the first time green beans (I KNOW, they are supposed to be the easiest) and tomatoes. A few baby beans, no tomatoes yet... basil, rosemary and thyme. Tried a cumber, nothing came of it. I am a total novice at planting stuff but so want it to work... Melissa

Nadine said...

If I ever visit you, your cherry tomatos will poof before you even get to see them... :) I love those things... had them every day while in Germany for almost 3 weeks end of may beginning of june....

Unknown said...

Gee, I wonder why the cherry tomatos get lost between your garden and your door.....

Our tomatoes are still flowering, but I haven't seen any growing yet. The bush is rather big, but, when time comes we won't know what to do with all those tomatoes.

Pat said...

The Sweet 100 cherry tomatos are kickin gbutt. They have hundreds of juicy yummys all over them. I keep tying them up and they escape over night.

Melissa, don't give up on your cukes..they're slow starters but once they get going, they grow a foot a night, I swear.

Anonymous said...

The way you write it feels like I was there. :)

Unknown said...

No kidding. On my second year here (2006) we got the sweet 100's. That bastard grew past six feet tall. The hubby looooooooves cherry tomatoes, so, everyday I harvested some to put in his lunch box. I have a picture of him and his sister standing in front of the vine, you could see them tied to the lattice by the sunroom. I'll find it and send it to you.

Pat said...

Nice, I like pics like that. I planted too many tomatos, I know I did, but, the whole family loves them. I can't wait until they all come on and I can compare the tastes of the different varieties. You know, I planted those early ones, like Early Girl and Early Boy..pffft..they aren't any earlier than anything else. The Heirlooms are doing just as well. The Sweet 100's came on first.