Friday, May 8, 2009

Beautious creatures


There sure are a lot of snakes this year and I want them in my garden eating bugs. You can't tell from my crummy camera, but, that top snake was black with a bright fire engine red stripe down the length of it's body. It was around two foot long. Beautiful coloring. It was friendly..and curious. We were playing cat and mouse with each other. I'd hunker down and get real still and he'd slip under the fence and come close. He knew I was there and he was curious, he was watching me just like I was him. He'd come over, right to my foot, and check me out, then turn around and slide back under the fence. No aggression at all, just curiosity. He must have done that 4 times. It was cute. Then an ordinary snake (that one on the bottom) came up from behind and hit my foot. I was wearing flip flops and it freaked me out. LOL! I didn't see him and he sure didn't see me until I jumped around like a maniac. I scared them both and they ran away. They'll be back. I like snakes a lot, I could watch them all day.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I woulda peed my pants!

Disher said...

There's so many in the garden now. I've seen dozens and now I recognize a few. Most just go about thier snakey business, but, there's two that are friendly and like to come play.

Shelly said...

Now see I have snakes too. I usually pick them up with a long handled tool and move them. It's not the snakes that scare me, it's the surprise factor!! I hate things sneaking up on me. Lots of leaf colored frogs too, they always get the startled yelp out of me. How sweet you've made friends of them.

Unknown said...

That is so funny. Snakes creep me out! I don't know why, a lot of them are really quite harmless. I semi-held one in school once and the way it moved in my hand really creeped me out! LOL

Spiders and snakes. Anything else doesn't bother me. Go figure.

K

Anonymous said...

I have had a MAJOR snake phobia my entire life. Fortunately, I live in suburbia and in 47 years I haven't even seen a grass snake. Of course, it's different in the country, but I don't venture past the city limits too often. All that to say that I don't care how friendly or curious a snake is, if I were to see one, I would scream, run and hope I don't end up having a heart a attack.

Corina said...

eww!! I've only ever seen snakes near the creek or lake.. thank God never near my house, haha! I'm sure they're lurking in the woods but i'd rather not know! Although they aren't as bad as spiders.. THEY should not exist on earth :P

Dirty Disher said...

Oh, spiders. Geez. I'll have to do a post on them. Iowa is the spider capitol of the world, I think. I've learned to live with them.

Dirty Disher said...

Miss Peggy, if you're reading, do you have any photosof Baby? I have one of me and Baby somewhere. Baby was so big there is no way I could lift her. Peggy's pet snake. She's a nice snake.

Anonymous said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Snakes gross me out!
Casey J.

Dirty Disher said...

I thought you liked every critter, Casey J?

Frimmy said...

Snakes are awesome and are so beneficial to us. They're unsung heros.

Same with spiders but they still creep me out. I'll leave a spider alone even if it sets up housekeeping indoors IF it stays put. Once it starts roaming it forfeits its life.

I'd rather have a garden with a bunch of spiders and snakes than a garden with one cat.