Sunday, May 3, 2009

Needful things..








This is The Shop. When you hear me mention the shop, it's this. My friend Glenna owns this place and she has for decades. It's right on the square and it's a used bookstore and she has new....stuff. I rent a teeny room from her to read Tarot cards in and it's a pleasant place to work. There's always books to read, though she sells mostly romance and I can skip that section. There are magical types of things, like misters and oil lamps and salt lights (those are gorgeous) and dolls and crystals and...stuff. It's a good place to be, very comfortable. She's not all uptight about anything and there are always piles of stuff to be sorted and boxes to be picked through. Comfortable mess. Lots of purses and if you sort through new arrivals sometimes you find designer stuff mixed in with the ordinary.
*
Her daughter, Tammy is a herbalist and she sells her wares there. Tammy is a good friend of mine and she's knowledgeable. She makes excellent soap. Bar soap is almost a thing of the past now that we can buy liquid, but, nothing gets garden dirt out of your fingernails like bar soap. I use it all the time and it's so nice on your skin. Not like that commercial crap that's so harsh. I like the goats milk the best, but, there are different kinds. I'm going to make soap this summer just because it looks like fun. I don't need another reason.
*
Tammy makes incense too and it's really good stuff. So, this is where I work. We visit and have lunch at the store and it's just nice, never stressful. I got tired of stressful. I don't make a lot of money anymore, but, I make enough to get by and I don't know what more you could want. Unless you like being stressed.

11 comments:

gardenhoe said...

I'm checking comment section on templates.

gardenhoe said...

checking another one.

gardenhoe said...

And yet another.

gardenhoe said...

comments, comments.

Dan Zinski said...

Go to settings - comments. Should be three choices:

full page
pop up window
embedded below post

They will all be the same until you change that.

gardenhoe said...

Thanks, I'll try that in addition to templates. There are several diff comment appearances in the templates too. At least I got that stupid word verification off here.

Anonymous said...

DD,
What is a salt light?

Disher said...

It's a block of salt from a salt mine and it has a small electric light inside. Some of them have candles. I like the electric ones. They glow with this unearthly light and are supposed to be good for your health. I don't know about that, but, man, are they pretty. Salt is traditionally used to keep bad energy at bay. I use a lot of salt. I'll try and get a photo of one of the lamps.

Anonymous said...

i'd like to see a pix of a salt lamp! never heard of them before!

Anonymous said...

I like the first and third pictures! Neat stuff in the shop!

Anonymous said...

Needful things....love it. lol That book was awesome! These are some neat items. Wish I lived closer!! I'd be broker than I already am! I would love to see a picture of the salt lamp too!