Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nothing is forever

The tiny Blue Spruce opened it's needles and they really are blue. The growth spurt made it a good three inches bigger. That's about all it will do this year, their major growth takes place in Spring. My Aunt Ruth kindly, cough, pointed out that in 10 years I will not be able to plant my Tomatoes behind it. I don't even know if I'll be on this planet for 10 more years and if I am, will I be able to plant Tomatoes? Geez. I think you could plant a damn pine tree right by your front door if you so desire. When it gets too big, cut it down for your Christmas tree and plant another one. People make things too hard by thinking about the future too much. Nothing is forever. Least of all, us puny humans. That tree can sit right there for 200 years without bothering anyone. I think it's nice to know it will be here when I'm long gone. Unless some future garden owner finds it a pain in the ass. Who cares?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true when it comes to stuff, just stuff. We won't know or care what happens to any of it once we're long gone.

Besides who says you can't transplant the tree some fall if it does become a hinderance.

gardenhoe said...

That's what I think.

Anonymous said...

pretty deep today, huh dish?....

Anonymous said...

pretty deep today, huh dish?....

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....good food for thought...I am going to make myself remember that. Sometimes, when I am trying to decide what to plant where I stew about it and end up frustrated because I try so hard to think about what it will look like in 10 years (and for the record, I sure as hell hope I am here to know!!). I really, really love your new blog!

gardenhoe said...

Thanks. Well, I'll tell ya, I do think about it because my Mom plants anything anywhere and I'm the one who has to deal with her crazy gardening. She's finally stopped. Now she just loads up on plants I usually hate and leaves them on the porch for me to plant. Have you ever seen a 30 foot high Forsythia planted under a pine tree? No? It's ugly and hard to chop.