Saturday, May 2, 2009

Simon & Garfunkel plantings



Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme...and Tarragon and Chives and flowers and...stuff. I've never grown herbs, I don't know why, I've grown nearly everything else. Probably because I am not a cook. But, I thought I'd try it and see what happens. The smell of Rosemary knocked my socks off. I had no idea fresh Rosemary smells that good. It was perfuming the entire garden with only one plant! I couldn't resist picking a little and putting it in a beef/veggie stew I cooked last night and OMG! Yum. Fresh picked is nothing like that dry stuff the store sells..nothing. Lovely stuff, that Rosemary.
*
Miss Peggy stopped by and she had dug up some Chocolate Mint from her garden for me. It's a pretty little ground cover and I was tickled to get some. I've never seen it sold anywhere, she's the only person I know who has it. It smells like a Hershey bar. Cool. She also gave me pink Yarrow, I love Yarrow and have never had a pink variety. I got them both planted last night, the Yarrow does not seem to like being disturbed, so I thought I'd better get it right in. It perked up. By the way, I saw I have several followers this morning..you can click that link to the right to see. Blogger was messed up yesterday, it was a bad time to work on this place. I just found that out. Anyway, Miss Peggy has a little picture there and that's a nice picture. Looks just like her. She doesn't wear much makeup and I don't think she's ever cut her hair, she has really long hair. She has one of those faces that you just immediatly know you're going to like this person, you know? Peggy and her sister Judy and their mother are all artists. Peggy and I met in a shop a few years ago and found out we both chatted in the same chat room. Isn't that funny? Chatting on the internet when we discovered we only lived a few blocks from each other. It's a small world.
*
Did you know Tarragon looks just like Rosemary? I did not know that. I marked them, but, now I can tell by the smell. I hope they do well there.

4 comments:

Shelly said...

OO, that fresh rich black dirt. I love the smell of it. This is better than a soap opera. Watching a garden unfold....

m. said...

I love mint, all kinds. I'm not sure if you know this, but mint is notorious for taking over and running rampant when planted outdoors in a garden. It's best to be planted in containers or in it's own area far away from the rest of the main garden. Unfortunately, mint is quite the invader, very hardy and can be difficult to control.

Really enjoying your new blog so far and glad you were able to work out the kinks with blogger.

Dirty Disher said...

I don't have to worry about that, I don't like mint. I don't like dill either..it smells icky.

m. said...

totally agree about dill, gross